From Merriam-Webster's online dictionary: Main Entry: nem·e·sis
1 capitalized : the Greek goddess of retributive justice
2 plural nem·e·ses \-ˌsēz\ a : one that inflicts retribution or vengeance b : a formidable and usually victorious rival or opponent
3 plural nem·eses a : an act or effect of retribution b : bane 2
When I use the word nemesis, most of the time I'm exaggerating. What I'm meaning is: "Someone who annoys me consistently."
So keep that in mind as you read on. Oh, and also! This is all in good fun. I don't actually want to hurt famous people on their feelings. Okay? Okay! Counting them down now:
5. Ann Hathaway. I watched THE PRINCESS DIARIES. I didn't like it. I watched THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA. I really didn't like it. What do those two movies have in common? Yep. The thing is, I read an interview and AH seemed actually pretty cool and sweet. I want to like her. But those two movie experiences were bad enough for me that I'm not sure I'm willing to ever give her another chance.
4. That One Girl at Work (not pictured). Several years ago, I was trying to fix a jam in the copier at my office. Some girl from another department came into the copy room, threw her hands up, and exclaimed, "WHAT did you do to it THIS time?" I was, shall I say, unthrilled at that accusation. Every time I see her in passing (maybe a few times a month), I find myself getting annoyed. Most of the time, I can't even remember why.
3. Jack White. He writes and performs music. I even like many of his songs. But when I saw the White Stripes several years ago, they didn't play "Fell In Love with a Girl." I'd been so sure was going to be their encore song because they didn't have any other radio singles at the time. Also, someone I used to hang out with really idolized Jack White, so that made JW even more my nemesis. (I like the White Stripes. And I really like The Raconteurs. All of this is in spite of Jack White, not because of him.)
2. Seann William Scott. We have things in common! The same birthday (he's exactly one year older than I am). The same last name. But he played the role of Stifler on AMERICAN PIE, and I hate Stifler more than I have ever hated a fictional character. I can't get past it to watch SWS in other movies. I just want to slap his Stifler face.
(Okay, now I feel kind of mean. This poor guy! But he was STIFLER!)
1. Bristol Palin. I think this girl is so pretty. And she's a young, single mom taking care of her son. When she first announced that she wanted to be an advocate for teens, to use her experiences to help other teens make different choices and not end up getting pregnant at such a young age, I was intrigued. Really! And when she went on the record saying that abstinence "isn't realistic," I was further intrigued. I mean, there are only a few certain ways to avoid pregnancy and it seemed unlikely that Bristol Palin was going to have anything truly unique to say on the subject. Still, I was looking forward to seeing her come up with motivational things to tell other teens help them make good choices for themselves. But then! Then she changed her original stance and is now going around preaching an abstinence message. Yes, I can say, "Hypocrite much?" but that isn't even my entire issue here. She had an opportunity to really make an impact, to really reach young girls, and she chose to be predictable.
Yes, Bristol Palin is my most formidable and victorious opponent in all the world right now.
Okay, your turn. Please, please, please tell me your nemeses! As you can see, it is a subject of great interest to me. :-D