Denise Jaden is the author of LOSING FAITH, a contemporary YA novel coming out from Simon Pulse on September 7, 2010. That's in just a few days, you guys! I already got a chance to read the ARC and it was a really great read. I had taken it with me to work one day and was very, very tempted to read a page or two during the workday. :-D
Denise is currently doing a really fun online launch party with lots of great interviews and prizes for you! Check out her blog to get the scoop each day.
And now, here are her answers to my Magic 8 interview!
1. At age eight, what did you want to be when you grew up? And at age eighteen? And while you’re at it, what about at age twenty-eight?
At eight I probably wanted to be some kind of dancer. I still am a professional Polynesian dancer, performing regularly with a very fun dance troupe, so I got that part right!
At eighteen, I wanted to be an actress. I went to the University of Victoria and majored in Theatre (and parties).
By twenty-eight, I just wanted to be a mom. It took me several years to make it happen, but now I have one very adorable little boy (adorable most of the time, anyway!)
2. Which Breakfast-Club-style label would have best fit your teenage self?
I was the Drama Geek. And the girl who got along with everyone. I’m probably still kinda that girl.
3. What are some of your superstitions and/or phobias?
I’m not terribly superstitious and I’m constantly trying to break myself of my fears. Like my main character, Brie, I do have an ongoing fear of heights I can’t seem to shake though.
I LOVE Tessa Lockbaum. Even though she wasn’t in my outline, she appeared during the writing of the first draft and pretty much took over the story. As for a favorite scene, I really like the one when Brie and her mom are making pasta together. It always makes me cry. I can’t say any more than that without spoilers.
5. Was there any certain music that inspired you while you were writing this book, or is there a song that could serve as your protagonist’s theme song?
You know, I love music, and have very eclectic taste, but I’ve never really felt a connection between music and writing. I need silence to write. One of the activities on the LOSING FAITH Discussion Guide on my website is to create a playlist for my book, and I hope one day to be able to see some of those playlists. I’d love to see what music other people would choose for LOSING FAITH.
6. What’s up next for you as a writer?
At the moment I’m working on another YA book, this one about a teen archer who’s battling some family problems and falling for the wrong guy. It’s titled PERFECT AIM.
7. And now, the most important question of all: Beatle or Elvis? Please support your answer. ;-)
This is a tough one! Elvis has the moves. But then again, who can compete with… Hey, Jude…
I plead the fifth!
8. Okay, your turn. Do you have a question you'd like me to ask my Magic 8 Ball on your behalf? (I'm telling you, this things is scarily accurate! Well, except for when it's lying.)
Will I be bigger than John Grisham? (Now we’ll KNOW if it’s lying!)