I am loving 2008 so far.
As you may have seen before, this is my list of goals for 2008:
Goals for 2008
1. Finish THE FAKE MCCOY. Completed 2/17/08!
2. Get THE FAKE MCCOY out of here! Completed 3/2/08.
3. Enter a literary contest. Completed 2/6/08.
4. Attend a writers' conference. Registered. Will complete late-April.
5. Start writing something new. Coming soon! I hope...
6. Sing karaoke at a bar. Completed 3/1/08.
It isn't writing-related, but I have to tell you about #6 here.
I was terrified! I was nervous, shaking, and naseated for hours before we went to the bar. Even while sitting there, I was having second thoughts. But then other people starting doing their songs, and I decided I could handle it. I wish I'd given the karaoke thing a try before writing the stage fright scene in my ms. But even now I wouldn't change a thing, so it didn't matter in the long run.
According to plan, I requested "Me & Bobby McGee" by Janis Joplin.
Not according to plan, the bartender beat me to it!
Instead, I sang "Creep" by Radiohead. The DJ said he'd never had a girl choose that one, so I felt very special. (Ha! That's sort of an inside joke. If you know the song, you'll know what it all means.) My sisters said I sounded "cute" and that I did a fine job with it. And, you know, I think I believe them. I wasn't a super star, but I didn't suck either.
I'm glad I followed through on this goal. It was fun! In fact, I'm thinking I may go back and try it again in a few weeks. I still do want to sing "Me & Bobby McGee."