Copy the questions into your blog and answer them. Then tag five other writers to do the same!
1. Do you outline? I just started for this project. I love it!
2. Do you write straight through a book, or do you sometimes tackle the scenes out of order? I go in order as long as I can, then I start skipping around.
3. Do you prefer writing with a pen or using a computer? I use the computer most of the time. But I do take notes with a pen before writing a scene sometimes.
4. Do you prefer writing in first person or third? First person.
5. Do you listen to music while you write? If so, do you create a playlist, listen randomly, or pick a single song that fits the book? I do listen to music. Most of the time I'll grab a random CD that I feel like listening to and put it on repeat all day until I can't take it anymore. But sometimes I do choose a CD based on the mood of my character and/or what is happening in the scene I'm working on.
6. How do you come up with the perfect names for your characters? I don't really know! I make a list from A to Z down the side of a page and try to make sure not to reuse letters for first names. If I know that the letter "K" is available, for instance, I might try to choose a name for a character based on that. I'll look online at baby name listings and see what catches my eye. I also makes sure my names have variety. I don't want everyone to have two syllable names that end with "y"! I also like some of the names to be common and few to be unusual. I guess when I think about it, there's really a lot that goes into naming these characters. But I don't necessarily choose their names based on what is good for them. I choose based on how they will fit in with the names of all the other characters.
7. When you're writing, do you ever imagine your book as a television show or movie? Occasionally.
8. Have you ever had a character insist on doing something you really didn't want him/her to do? Not really.
9. Do you know how a book is going to end when you start it? I have an idea of how my main character will FEEL at the end. The events that get them to that feeling are ever-changing.
10. Where do you write? At my desk at home.
11. What do you do when you get writer's block? Mope!
12. What size increments do you write in (either in terms of wordcount, or as a percentage of the book as a whole)? I don't understand this question. I try to write a scene at a time with a goal of getting between 50 - 65K words total.
13. How many different drafts did you write for your last project? I don't know! Every scene was revised between four and seven times. I think the full manuscript was revised about four times.
14. Have you ever changed a character's name midway through a draft? Yes. I changed several characters names actually because I had failed to realize that four of them started with the letter "T"!
15. Do you let anyone read your book while you're working on it, or do you wait until you've completed a draft before letting someone else see it? I let a few people read scenes as soon as I finish them.
16. What do you do to celebrate when you finish a draft? Not enough! I need to really think of some good rewards this time.
17. One project at a time, or multiple projects at once? One at a time. I get too scattered.
18. Do your books grow or shrink in revision? Both, so that they end up staying almost the size they were!
19. Do you have any writing or critique partners? I have one online crit partner right now.
20. Do you prefer drafting or revising? I never would have believed this of myself, but REVISING! :-)